Wednesday, November 3, 2010

El Vocho


In Mexico, VW Sedans are lovingly referred to as “Vochos” This is a Mexico City cab on the streets of Rogers Park, Chicago. While I've never seen a Mexican cab in the U.S., I have seen quite a few Mexican VWs here. In order to bring a vehicle into this country, it has to meet certain crash and emission standards. It is generally prohibitively expensive to upgrade cars, especially those that were essentially built to early ’70s U.S. standards.

I love seeing old VWs, so I’m not complaining. I think it is silly to force the independent owner to update his car. As far as I’m concerned, it’s no different driving one of these on U.S. roads than an antique automobile. It’s impact on the environment and safety is minimal.

Back in the ’60s, there were many Volkswagens in Rogers Park, as it was and is, a neighborhood that attracts the “counterculture.” My dad had a ’68. Included in the VW population, was the occasional smuggled 1600 Sedan, a notchback version of the Squareback and Fastback. It was available in Latin America and Puerto Rico.

¡Viva el Vocho!

No comments: